MAC OS is one of the most popular and widely used desktop and laptop operating system in the world. According to recent reports, macOS is second-most-active general-purpose desktop operating system and it is being used by about 4.90% desktop users around the world. Though MAC is considered as most secure and easy to use operating system, but it have some limitations too. The most common problem these days MAC users are complaining about is not availability of dedicated print-screen key to take screenshots on MAC. Though there are some methods by which you can print screen on MacBook, but still many people are not aware about them.
So if you are the one who is upgrading from Windows computer to MAC, then you might get into this annoying situation too. Along with this, you can also find print screen command on MAC in this article, so that you can take screenshots on MacBook easily without using any third party software. We have got many messages of people asking about how to take print screen in MacBook Air, so we thought to share a complete post about how to print screen on MacBook Pro and Air.
Also read: How to Take a Screenshot on a PC windows
Take Screenshot In MAC & Print Screen In MacBook
As we told earlier that there’s no specific key dedicated in MAC to take screenshots or to print screen in Mac. Even if you will attach a Windows keyboard to your MAC, still you won’t be able to use the PrtScr key to take screenshots on MAC. Luckily, there are couple of ways available out there which you can use either to take screen shot of entire scree or designated area.
Below you will find all those working methods to print screen MAC keyboard. We’ve also added methods to add screenshot button to Touch Bar in MAC. So if you also want to know how to take screenshot in Apple computer, then keep reading this post.
How To Print Screen On A Mac | How To Take Screenshot On MAC
Method #1. Take Screenshot of Entire Screen On Mac
The first thing which everyone and most of the Mac users want to know about how to capture whole screen on Mac and save it as screenshot. If you are among them, then you can follow the steps mentioned below. Do note that you don’t have to use any third-party software or any extensions for that and that can be done using your keyboard only.
- If you are looking for print screen in MAC shortcut key, then you can use this step.
- First of all press CMD (which is also called ‘Apple key’) and Shift, then press 3.
- Once you will press all three buttons together, then a .png file will get saved on your desktop.
- Yes, it’s that simple to print screen MAC keyboard, just press Shift + Command ⌘ + 3.
If you want to identify the saved screenshot, then the file name of the saved file will being with ‘Screen shot’. This till will also have date and time in its name. Here is the screenshot on MAC format: ‘Screen Shot [year]-[month]-[day] at [time]’.
Do note that if you’re using two screens with your MacBook or Apple computer, then two images will get saved as screenshot – one for each display.
Method #2. Print Screen of Selected Area of Screen In MacBook
Well, many people are also looking for how to take print screen in MacBook Air. Sometimes you want to send a specific part of screen to someone and you just can’t find out how?
If yes, then here we have something for you. By using above method you can screenshot Mac screen and crop it according to your needs. But why spending time on cropping it when you can print screen of selected area in MacBook. Here’s how to do it:
- If you don’t know where are screenshots saved in MAC, then let us tell you that they are saved on desktop.
- If you want to take screenshot in Apple computer of selected screen, then press Command ⌘ + Shift + 4.
- When you will press them together, then your mouse pointer will change to “+”.
- You will also notice that pixel coordinates are shown up on the right side of your screen.
- You will have to use the space bar now to choose the length and resolution of the area (that wide button on your keyboard).
- Just select the window you want to print screen in MAC.
- Screenshot of that window will now be saved on the desktop as a PNG file.
Method #3. Take Screenshot MAC and Copy To Clipboard
There comes many times when you are working on something important or creating a tutorial, and need to take multiple screenshots of your screen. In that time, you might want to know how to paste screenshot on MAC. By using this method, you will be able to understand how to copy screenshots in MAC and paste them anywhere. Many people are also searching for how to paste print screen on MAC, if you are among them, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all you have to press Command ⌘ + Control + Shift + 4.
- If you are using an older version of MAC, then you can press Apple key ⌘ + Control + Shift + 4 all at the same time.
- When you will press them together, then your mouse cursor will turn from pointer into a “+” symbol with pixel coordinates on the right side.
- All you have to do now is to just click and drag your mouse around the area which you want to capture.
- Once you’ve selected the area, release your mouse.
- Your captured screen will be copied to your clipboard and you can just paste it anywhere you want.
Method #4. Add Screenshot Button To Touch Bar
Touch Bar is latest addition to MacBook and it is very useful too. You can assign shortcuts to touch bar and with a single click your defined action will be performed. It can be running an app or playing a song on internet, everything can be done using a single touch. Moreover this touch bar can also help you in getting MacBook print screen button on it. Yes, you can add screenshot button in MacBook touch bar and use them as shortcut for print screen in MAC.
- First of all open System Preferences and then go to Keyboard settings from it.
- Now on then Keyboard tab, you have to click on Customize Control Strip from then bottom right-hand corner.
- Now there you will find many options with their icons.
- Just find the Screenshot button and drag it to the touch bar area and click on Done to make changes.
- Another thing is that you can also extend your Touch Bar’s Control Strip in order to place screenshot on MAC button on it.
Method #5. How To Print Screen On MacBook Using Grab Utility
Many Mac users are not aware of a tool named Grab. Well, you will be happy to know that this Grab utility comes pre-installed in Mac systems and you can use it to take screenshots. Just like Snipping Tool is available in Windows OS, Grab utility works pretty similar to that one. If you don’t know about this utility and useful tool to take screenshots on MAC, then below you can find steps to use it and print screen on Mac without software.
Apart from using keyboard shortcuts buttons for screenshot on MAC, you can also use Grab utility tool on MacBook. If you are bad at remembering things, then you might need something other than shortcuts of course. In order to solve your problem, Mac introduced Grab tool in their OS which lets you create screenshot on Mac without any software. You can use this function directly from the menu bar.
To do this just open the Utilities folder on your Menu, and go to the Applications folder. You’ll find Grab in the list of utilities and you can also pin this icon on dock for quick access.
Mac print screen options are really hard to find when you don’t have any prior experience with it. Many new Mac users keep looking for how to print screen on MAC, so we thought to post about it. We hope now you are able to print screen MAC Windows, and all of the above mentioned methods are working for you. Though there might be more ways available on how to take screenshot in MacBook Pro, but according to us they works best among them.
Along with print screen in MAC, we’ve also told you about where are screenshots saved in MAC so you won’t face any problems in finding them. If you know about any other MacBook print screen button, or currently using any other options then do let us know about them via comments.